Sunday, May 15, 2022

Dr Monique Ryan will be a strong independent voice for Kooyong if she is elected

I got involved in politics are working on campaigns to protect Victoria's native forests.  Elections presented an opportunity to get change for the better.  However, we were not able to "make Australia woodchip free in 1993"...

I joined the Greens and was the Greens candidate for Kooyong in 2001, 2004 and 2007 running against Petro Georgiou, a decent and friendly man who showed great compassion to refugees.

I resigned from the Greens in 2011. All political parties carry baggage and pollute democracy. MPs  mostly represent their party as their first priority rather than their constituents.

I ran as an independent (unsuccessfully) for the state seat of Burwood in the 2014 Victorian election.

People mostly join political parties because the believe in something and want to effect change. I was focussed on protecting forests, the environment, climate change and transitioning to renewable energy. 

However, I found myself diverted into lengthy often toxic state and national council meetings. My energy was diverted into internal battles over policy, priorities and pre-selection. All political parties also engage in branch stacking.

When I send emails to Josh Frydenberg asking him to represent my views in the federal parliament he refuses to do so.  Instead I get a spiel from him on what "their policy" is. He has also blocked me on Twitter without any explanation. He's just not a good representative for me and many others.

I am volunteering for Monique Ryan's campaign for Kooyong because I  believe she will be the best person to represent Kooyong in the federal parliament.

Vote 1 Monique Ryan. Remember to number EVERY square.

We want a Federal representative who takes the time to listen, and act and represent us on the important issues - including climate change, an anti-corruption commission, decent treatment of refugees and protection of our environment.

The campaigns such as Monique Ryan in Kooyong, Zoe Daniel in Goldstein, Allegra Spender in Wentworth and other "teal" seats are fantastic and inspiring. 

Thousands of people are engaged and active.

Democracy has been restored to citizens, breaking the shackles of party politics.

Simon Holmes a Court has provided funding for many of these campaigns via the Climate 200 with no strings attached. This has enabled local independent campaigns to compete against well-funded political party campaigns.

One of the great things about Dr Monique Ryan's campaign is meeting new people from all walks of life and getting out and about door knocking, riding bikes and visiting cafes.

Over 2,000 volunteers are united in a common goal - to get Dr Ryan elected in Kooyong.

This is the first time in Kooyong's history that there has been a real contest for the seat. 

This might be the only chance we get, let's make it happen!






See also

No comments: