Saturday, April 02, 2022

I have caught COVID-19, its not "mild"

I recently caught COVID-19, here is a log of how this has unfolded. I am triplex vaxxed - 2 Astrazeneca and one Pfizer.

Sun 27 March 2022: Midnight Oil concert

I attended Midnight Oil's last ever concert in Melbourne. I am a long term fan. I wore a cloth mask some of the time. Lots of people were there, very few were wearing masks.  Three other friends who attended have not caught COVID.

Mon 28 March 2022: Slight throat tickle

I noticed a slight tickle in my throat but thought it was due to my singing at the concert

Tue 29 March 2022: Cough developed

The slight tickle became a dry cough, sneezing and some mucus discharge (like a cold)

Wed 30 March 2022: Negative RAT

Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) have a negative test. I was thinking it was likely I just have a cold. Cough, sneezing persisting.  RAT results are NOT reliable.

Thu 31 March 2022: PCR test (day 1 iso)

I got a drive through PCR test with my daughter . Cough, sneezing persisting, throat getting a bit sore and a slight headache. No fever, aches or pains.

Fri 1 April 2022: COVID-19 positive (day 2 iso)

PCR positive test result notified by SMS, but my daughter was negative. 7 day isolation at home commenced

  • Cough, sneezing persisting
  • Throat getting very sore
  • Headache persisting. 
  • Coughing up some grey and yellow phlegm, its in my lungs but I don't have shortness of breath. 
  • No fever, aches or pains (other than throat). Haven't checked sense of smell.  
  • Temperature and breathing normal.

Downloaded the Melbourne Uni CovidCare app to track my symptoms and condition.

Staying in the master bedroom alone, isolated from my partner and daughter. Wearing an N95 mask when I occasionally leave the bedroom.

Sat 2 April 2022: Very sore throat, still coughing phlegm (day 3 iso)

  • Got up during the night with a very sore throat to take some Disprin. Have also been taking some Nurofen occasionally to reduce symptoms.
  • Nose still very runny, it hurts to cough. Throat very sore. Lots of phlegm in lungs
  • Feeling cold, I normally sleep warm to hot.
  • Temperature and breathing normal.

Still no fever, aches or pains (other than throat), loss of sense of smell or shortness of breath.

This disease it NOT mild. Its worse than a common cold. 

Sun 3 April 2022: Feeling groggy, throat feeling better, still coughing some phlegm (day 4 iso)

  • Felt groggy yesterday. It's hard being restricted to some rooms in the house. I can't imagine what 10 years incarceration that refugees in Australia must be like.
  • Took some Disprin and Nurofen during the day.
  • Sore throat has improved, less coughing, but still some phlegm in my lungs.
  • Feel cold in bed, usually I get too hot.  Still no fever.

Mon 4 April 2022: Still feeling groggy in the morning, feeling better (day 5 iso)

  • Throat no longer sore
  • Runny nose gone
  • Some mucus phlegm but its reduced
  • Reduced coughing, lungs feel OK
  • Feeling warm now (after feeling colder than usual)
  • Still no fever
  • Temperature and breathing normal.

My partner and daughter are now have symptoms and have gone for a PCR test today.

Tue 5 April 2022: Feeling better (day 6 iso) but partner and daughter positive

  • Reduced coughing, lungs feel OK, very little phlegm now
  • Temperature and breathing normal

However, my partner and daughter both tested positive today.

My partner has a sore throat.

My daughter is lethargic, has lost her sense of taste and has a fever.

Wed 6 April 2022: Feeling OK (day 7 iso, last day)

  • Still a slight tickle in my throat but otherwise good.
  • Temperature and breathing normal

My partner had a very sore throat last night (similar to what I experienced)

My daughter is still feeling quite ill.

Thu 7 April 2022: Out of iso, feeling OK

  • Still a slight tickle in my throat. Occasional cough.
  • Temperature and breathing normal

Partner improving, isolating

Daughter still in the grip of it, isolating

Did some shopping, wore a mask.

Fri 8 April 2022: Bike ride, feeling OK

  • Still a slight tickle in my throat. Very occasional cough.
  • Bike ride into the city went well.  Lungs a bit sore when making an effort.

Partner improving, isolating

Daughter still in the grip of it, isolating

Tue 3 May 2022: Still some side effects.

I have felt almost back to normal, but there as some lingering issues:

  • If I exercise hard and breath fast my lungs hurt - must be still some inflammation
  • I get fatigued and need 2-3 hours sleep after exercise (stand up paddle board, bike rides etc.)
  • I still get a dry cough some mornings for a short period.
Prevention is better than cure - its sensible to take steps to avoid catching COVID.

Links


No comments: