Open letter to Josh Frydenberg, Member for Kooyong.
A quick note to let you know that I completely disagree with government policy - which I note that you support - for offshore treatment of asylum seekers.
This will not deter asylum seekers from getting on boats to get to Australia.
In addition, offshore processing:
- is not consistent with human rights standards and UN treaty obligations
- will not provide appropriate accommodation;
- will not provide access to education, and to mental and physical health services;
- will make asylum applications much more difficult to process
- restricts merit-based application review by senior officials and NGO representatives
- has no oversight and/or monitoring of conditions by civil society.
I ask you to reconsider your position on this reprehensible policy. Onshore processing is the only human and effective option.